Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Friday, January 18, 2008

Packing, Preparations and Goodbyes

Well, let’s see. I’ve gotten shots for the following diseases: Yellow Fever, Polio, and Hepatitis A (2 doses), TDAP, including Tetanus, Diphtheria and Pertussis. I’m taking an oral vaccination for Typhoid. I think I’m covered. If I were going to Uganda, I would have gotten a rabies shot, so I’ll count myself lucky.

As for packing, I made the right call to ask for luggage for Christmas. I wish that luggage weight limits were on the metric system, as the 50 pound limit may not work in my favor.
I’ve packed the most conservative clothing I own, and some that I’ve purchased. Ironic, after all my arguments with my parents as a teenager about “here I am, come get me” clothing, I’m going to have to learn to cover up, dress conservatively and seriously think about the messages I send, otherwise I’ve been warned about unwelcome attention. Not that I’ve ever been particularly radical in my clothing, but this is a whole new set of standards. Looking “white” sends enough messages by itself, and all the stereotypes of “American women” will follow me everywhere I go. Helloooooo (or Marhabaaaan) button-downs and crewnecks. Also, my room is more of a disaster than normal with all of this "organizing"

Other things: power converters, lots of “walking shoes,” a money belt-thing, lots of toiletries so I can continue being a spoiled American and various consumer electronics Oh, GOOD news. 4 days pre-departure they let us know that I will be in AUC’s Zamalek dorms. It’s nice to finally have a home away from home to look forward to.

Now I’m down to 2 days. I need to make a last run to Target for various essentials, finish my last load of laundry, and make everything fit in my suitcases without going over the weight limit. And then it will be time, soon enough, to spend a few last hours with the people close to me who are still in Columbia. My sister and a certain boy have already been goodbyed, hopefully satisfactorily. My parents, my youngest sister, my good friend are left to go. It won’t be easy, but hey, it’s not like this is forever, and though my parents get more anxious as Sunday at 10 AM draws nearer, but I can only reassure them as much as possible and enjoy my last time at home before the adventure begins. Life is good. I'm so lucky to be able to do this.

Also, some links. Check them out. Probably more interesting than my previous chatter.
The Weather in Cairo at any given time.
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/businesstraveler/local/EGXX0004?from=recentsearch
It’s going to be 70 in Cairo tomorrow and 20 in Missouri and 13 in South Bend. . . This is definitely the right call weather-wise

AND last but not least, recent news about American-Egyptian relations as of late. President Bush simultaneously needs Egypt for his Israeli-Palestinian peace push and is gently prodding its democratization. It will be an interesting time to be there
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/middle_east/7191679.stm

2 comments:

Allison said...

Do we get a blog update anytime soon? With pictures? pleeeasseeeee. love, me

tnt meyer said...

Great to hear from you. How exciting to be living your dream. It makes me so happy to know you are safe and having a great time. I am so jealous! Things are quiet here in Missouri. We love you, Mom