Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Wednesday, April 16, 2008

about that

I unfortunately can't say much right now and I can't show you anything. Actually, the first statement was a lie. My laptop's AC adapter died, it is khalas, finished, kaput. Egyptian electricity apparently has that effect on electronics, so I can't upload pictures to my computer or post them online right now. And another reason:

IM LEAVING ON SPRING BREAK TOMORROW!!!
(So I've been busy getting ready for that)

What's the plan? Leave for Jerusalem tomorrow on an overnight bus to Taba then another bus to Jerusalem, spend like 4 days there and hopefully seeing the West Bank and Bethlehem as well, and experiencing the Holy Land up close with all of its beauty and religious history and general holiness, as well as getting a taste of the modern political issues and contradictions and issues, to hopefully get a better grasp on that. I'm really excited about being able to stand in the city I've been hearing about since I was born (I 'member. . . . ), because there's nowhere in the world like it, nothing even comes close.

Then, to save ourselves a little bit of money, we will be taking a bus back to Cairo, meeting up with some people who aren't coming to Jerusalem, so we can fly to Istanbul on April 23rd. We spend 5 days there and come back on the 28th. Istanbul is supposed to be spectacular, I love the people I'm going with, and we're going to have a great time. I want to visit museums, see the Blue Mosque and the Hagia Sophia (which I've been dying to see since AP world Sophomore year), and experience the Ottoman empire's seat up close and personal, since I've realized how big an impact the Ottomans had on Egypt. And live a bit of the high live, go out, live it up.

and THEN, we have 2 days of class (most people are just skipping them altogether but I'm being a good girl, and taking some time to breathe and simultaneously write a research paper), and then we have a 3 day weekend in which we're going to Luxor, in Egypt, where Valley of the Kings is. It's going to be SO hot.

Whirlwind, crazy trip and by the time I come back for any extended period of time it will be May, and I'll have less than 4 weeks of classes left. TERRIFYING.

Things that have been going on here in Cairo since I wrote last:
1)We're starting to wind up the English class I've been teaching with my friend Pat, only 2 more classes to go. I'm overdue on a blog entry about this; it’ll get done after Spring Break.
I registered for classes at Notre Dame, and am madly in love with my 3-day weekends (no Friday class) and I hope it stays that way. And since I'm mostly done with my majors, I am taking classes that will challenge and interest me, and then Economics because it's helpful if I want to go into a policy-related field. And it somewhat interests me.
2) I saw a GREAT Arab-American comedian named Muhammad (Mo) Amer. Check him out on YouTube. Just as soon as you think the joke about everyone in the Arab world being named Muhammad could never be funny again, you realize that, when everyone is named Muhammad, how could it ever NOT be funny?
3) Temperatures have begun to be consistently in the 80s and 90s. While still better than freezing for 3 months at ND, it's going to be HOT, and not all in a good way.
4)Today was International Day, with performances, food and exhibits from all the different countries represented by AUC. It was pretty cool, and we got out of class (including an in-class essay) for it. Pictures later, Insha’Allah.
5) Jimmy Carter is speaking at AUC tomorrow when he is in Cairo to talk with Hamas. A big deal. I'm going to try to attend for as long as I can before leaving by bus to enter the land of the fray myself. Read about his visit HERE:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/apr/16/israelandthepalestinians.usa


OK, that's enough for now. But until I have time to write again, with sweet pictures and great stories, here are some more articles about Egypt for your enjoyment. Assigned reading. There will be a pop quiz.

Talk to you after I acquire a few more passport stamps! Keep reading!
Laura

No comments: