Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Friday, January 25, 2013

Where in the world is Laura . . . exactly?



It is 6pm on a Friday, and I am in the final stages of kicking jet lag, so rather than give details about what life is like here or what world-changing stuff I`m working on, it is easier to just throw a Google map up here to at least give you the where, and save the what, the why, and the how for later, especially because I am still figuring most of that out anyway, and will be for a while.  

Also, despite my best efforts, I haven`t acquired an adapter for my electronics, so I`m working on a laptop that appears to be set up for French, as the y and the z are reversed, along with a few other significant changes.  Which leaves me trzing to tzpe like this, and itàs driving me totallz crayz.   Absolutelz bonkers. 

So, anyway, back to where.   The Salesian school/residence and the IIMA office is located Veyrier, a small town/village outside Geneva, roughly 20-30 minutes by bus.  In practice, we`re closer to France than we are to Geneva, but it appears to stay pretty quiet over there.   The backdrop here at the office are these two pretty incredible mountains that the map tells me are in France.  They`re are probably small for Colorado or Nepal, perhaps, but for this Missouri girl, these are no molehills.   Waking up to snow-covered Alps every morning are just another aspect making this experience totally surreal. 

Then, I will be spending a good amount of time at the United Nations Human Rights building, which is a bus ride away. I just got my badge today, so I can get in with ease on Monday.  Again, surreal.  More on the actual work next week once that starts and the reality hits a little more soundly.  



No comments: