Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Monday, February 25, 2013

How is this my life? Vol. 2: Days in the Office

Having been here almost a month now, I'm probably overdue for an explanation of the nature of my work here.

I'm not just munching on Nutella and baguettes




and staring out the window at the Alps.




Although I probably do too much of that, it's not what I spend most of my time and energy on, and it's not why I'm here.

I'm here, to serve and to learn, and am doing that to the best of my ability.  Here's what that translates into.

Days in the Office

Thus far, a slim majority of my time has been spent in the VIDES/IIMA office, which is here in Veyrier down the hall from my room.

Since the Salesians are present in 95 countries, (and try to keep an eye generally on most of the rest), it's quite a lot of work to remain up-to-date and engaged.

Multiply 95 countries times the different mechanisms and treaty bodies we focus on, including:
  • The Universal Periodic Review
  • CEDAW: Committee on the Elimination of Discrimination against Women
  • The CRC: Committee on the Rights of the Child
  • CERD: Committee on the Elimination of Racial Discrimination
  • Several Working Groups, including the ones on Right to Peace, the Right to Education, and related NGO coalitions. 
Then consider that we are together communicating information in two directions.  We carry out surveys of sisters in the field to share with the UN, and produce reports and blog entries about UN proceedings for the benefit of sisters in the field.  Which usually involves at least two languages, drafts and the several readings and close attention to detail it takes to keep the work error free.

It's quite an undertaking.   So on any given day in the office, from 8:30 to 5:30 I could be writing a report blog entry on a UN event I attended, editing a few documents written by non-native English speakers for accuracy, translating a Powerpoint from Spanish and updating the layout, compiling information for an oral or written statement given at a UN meeting, and any other household/office tasks that come my way.

Sometimes  I get distracted (like now, writing this), but if I can stay focused, there's always something to be done.   Especially since so much official business is conducted in English, and I'm the only one to have as my mother tongue, for better or for worse.
Kind words from my French Colleague

I am interested in basically everything; it's my blessing and my curse.  But this work is incredibly interesting,  particularly since I haven't been as grounded in the human rights world as I am in social movements and economic issues.  I will admit I sometimes miss the maps and the data of my former life. But grad school, coming up in about six months will take care of that, I am certain.  Friends, when I'm a slave to STATA and ArcGIS again, remind me of this.

My life is really hard (note: that is sarcasm).

No comments: