Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Friday, August 22, 2014

Fauna-Tastic: Stone Animals of India Edition

I think it's pretty safe to say I've pushed this series as far (and further) than it should really go.  Still, there are all these exquisite, and painstaking carvings that deserve some recognition for being carved. by hand. from stone. before dynamite.

ELEPHANTS! 

Ellora Caves, circa 756-774 AD


Jaipur, 1700s



LIONS

Jaipur, 1700s, (and me, carved out of stone circa 1987)



Ellora Caves, ~700


COBRA

Qutb Minar complex, ~1300


PEACOCK

Actually, not 100% sure this is stone, but close enough. I love the picture, wanted to put some color here. And  I can do whatever I want. It's my blog.  


COW (+ Goddess)

Ellora Caves again. 


No comments: