Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Saturday, March 29, 2008

In other news . . .

I completetely forgot to write about my birthday. I've been bitter for a while that, although my 21ST birthday was theday before St. Patrick's day, when the kids back on Campus, drinking and being merry, and it would have been a spectacular time to turn 21. I still had an unforgettable birthday, and best of all, I still remember *almost all * of what happened.

The night before my birthday, we took a Felucca, a kind of Egyptian boat out on the Nile, with a few bottles of wine and a bunch of my new friends and some of my old ones. It was a GORGEOUS night, and I had a great time, got quite tipsy, and then they took me to Hard Rock Cafe. Unfortunately, I was quite quickly too far gone, so had to be taken home before I got my special birthday treat. It was a 21st Birthday American-Style, only in Egypt, and I am so grateful for my friends here who made it sweet. My family did the coolest thing possible: I have a YouTube video in my name (if you're bored, search "Birthday Wishes for Laura"), and it was a little taste of being at home with them, even if we were thousands of miles away.

Also, for all my ND friends (Mom, DON'T READ THIS) I purchased a sheesha/hookah pipe for personal use next semester, and AJ was nice enough to take it home for me so I don't have to deal with it at the end of the semester. I am actually quite fond of it already, because it's so pretty, but all I have left are pictures, so my feelings towards it are like those for an adopted child from China that I only have pictures from for the time being. I plan on having sheesha nights at my apartment, perhaps accompanied by Egyptian food, and you are all invited. I am also contemplating the idea of sheesha tailgates, if only for the strange satisfaction I'll get out of explaining to the Indiana State Police that I am, in fact, only smoking tobacco (Here, Officer, try it, it's great, no seriously. Try it, I mean it.) Be there.

OK, enough for now. I have to write the longest paper I've written in 4 months today, and I'm not liking that idea at all. I should get on that.

Thanks for reading, questions and comments welcome!!
Laura

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

This is a wonderful blog. The title brought me here as I had just finished reading Lahiri's extraordinary story. The photos just make everything richer. Great work.