Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Thursday, March 20, 2008

Under the Jordanian moon (an entry on the run!)

Since I am once again behind, I thought I would write a quick entry from Jordan itself. I've been in 3 different countries today, which for someone from the United States is incredible, since in North America that would take DAYS. today, it was a matter of hours.

My friend AJ from Notre Dame is here and we're having a great time. She arrived at 11 PM last night, and today, we took a 6 hour bus from Cairo to Taba at 6 AM, crossed into Israel and dealt with border security and silly questions there, took a 20 minute taxi ride across the very bottom tip of Israel along the Red Sea, then crossed into Jordan. We are staying in Aqaba on the Red Sea, home to the world's tallest flagpole (pictures when I make it back to Egypt!!), and today altogether I bought an inflatable penguin (see 2 previous entries), watched the sun set over the red sea, swam a little bit, dealt with 3 different currencies in a matter of hours. the Jordanian dinar is actually worth MORE than the dollar ($1=~.8 dinars), so, still thinking in pounds, I'm spending way more money than I think. Alas, this is life. Also, our hostel is a camp, and our room for the evening consists of a bamboo hut without a door, but at least it won't rain!!!! I'm still young, and traveling on the fly, sleeping in unique conditions, living every day like an adventure, this is being alive. Of course, ask me that in 3 days. . . . Whatever, i could potentially tell any potential children in the very distant future some very interesting stories, as soon as they reach an appropriate age, say 25. And the red sea is 5 minutes away. Here's to the Bedouin Garden village, in all its wonders. Tomorrow we go to Petra (google it!!!!) where the 3rd Indiana Jones was filmed, there will be pictures in abundance soon enough. We leave at like 630 AM and will spend all day there, so I should probably "yalla" along and get ready to crash. Especially as I'm going on like 4 hours of sleep. More when I get back!!!

Salaam,
Laura

No comments: