Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Saturday, May 11, 2013

Laura the Librarian


After running around the UN listening to people talk, I said to myself that I was ready to do things where I could actually see the impact.  Teach one person one thing.  Move one thing from one place to another.

My wish has come true.    Several thousand times over.




One of my big jobs here has been getting the library in shape.   Picture your elementary school library.   Then change everything, except maybe the fact that there are books on shelves, walls, a floor, and various other furniture.

There are almost 6,000 books.  The vast majority are hundreds of identical state-sponsored textbooks that are kept in the library except when teachers are using them for a class.  Some even predate South Sudan being a real state, so they were written by the Secretariat of Education of New Sudan.   P1 (1st Grade) to P8.  Math, English, Science, Social Studies, Christian Religious Education, usually called CRE.   Yes, officicial State religion texbooks, which blew my mind more than a little.   All these books were moved sorted, stamped, numbered, recorded by hand, and shelved, and I did at least a plurality of that.  From my perusal, the content for the subjects is pretty straightforward, and seem to reflect the student’s world. I  haven’t spent a ton of time in the classrooms to see how they are used.  Maybe later.

Also note the difference between a textbook WITH international development aid (UKAID) and those without.  The books funded by UKAID  arer  prettieed plastic covering to withstand the environment, the other more utilitarian ones do not.

Looks pretty good, in all, and it has created a great place for me to do with my students. I’ve also discovered some nice resources, including primary texbooks from Sudan that have been useful in relearning Arabic.

There are limited basic reading and phonics books I will be taking advantage of with my students, and some useless donated books.  We have 20+ copies each of advanced accounting textbooks and some cognitive psychology online lab books donated from some maybe well-intentioned  aid agency that no one will use . . yep, drowning in useless expensive textbooks and thirsty for the basic literacy books we need.

Welcome to South Sudan

1 comment:

Unknown said...

What a worthy task. You are doing great work! Keep the good works coming.
Love, Dad