Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Monday, May 27, 2013

We are living in a globalized world. . .

. . . and I am a globalized girl. Terrible, sorry. I know  Couldn't think of anything better.

The other day I was thinking, and realized that just in the past few months I have


  •  Spoken Italian with people from Japan and Arabic with someone from Italy 
  • crossed the border from Switzerland to France to eat Chinese food with a Vietnamese couple and an Italian nun
  • visited the Amsterdam office of an American based software company to meet my wonderful Mexican hosts
  • attended Catholic masses in French, Italian, Dutch/Spanish, Arabic/Bari, and English on 3 different continents.
  • For beer, learned my Mexican friend drinks only Guinness and my Italian friend, almodt exclusively Corona
  • eaten Indian food in Paris, tapas in Geneva, Doner kebab in the netherlands and actually been served Swiss steaks in Switzerland
  • Gotten really emotionally involved in Nigerian soap operas . . . and found the plot lines having the same compelling elements of Shakespearean plays (star-crossed lovers, royal marriages, competitions, absurd tragedies).  The dialogue, however, fails to match up. 
  • resently mattress comes from Uganda.  My sheets. . . not sure where they were made, but they feature a random Japanese anime pattern. 


Anyway, thought it would be fun to make a list like this . . . Altogether, feels a bit crazy, awesome, and overwhelming if you consider it all too closely.

What are some of your random global mishmash experiences?  Feel free to share them in comments.

2 comments:

Tom said...

Laura, You are truly living one of my favorite bumper stickers,"Think globally, act locally". Uncanny, but you are doing both at the same time.
Love, Dad

Lauren said...

I'm currently g chatting with you in South Sudan, receiving e-mails from a co-worker in Belarus, taking phone calls from Iraq...and now calling Sri Lanka.

Just another morning...