Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Fauna-tastic

Cats:  Minou, brought into the house by a volunteer who comes every year and is set to return shortly.  A couple days before I got here, she had 3 kittens, who I nicknamed Tigger, Pooh Bear and Eeyore.  We gave Tigger and Pooh Bear away, now are down to Eeyore and Mama==.  I’m not really a huge cat person, but it’s been really fun to see them grow up.


Giant bird: Giant stork/crane thing that was in our yard one day.  Cool, right?


Snake: Found this giant snake cadaver with the help of my students on the day I saw the crane.  Was fascinating to see, especially because it no longer posed a threat


Reptiles:  Are EVERYWHERE.  I see blue-tailed skinks that are similar to ones I’ve seen in the States, geckoes, these orange and gray iguana-things that always look like they’re doing pushups.  Here’s a tiny gecko I found in my room one day. In taking the picture accidentally took off the tip of its tail and watched it twitch around, which I’d never seen in real life.   I love science.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Great pictures. Some animals are cool, others are yuck, like the snake.