Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Tuesday, June 4, 2013

South Sudan in Pictures

A few commenters have asked for for more pictures.  Here are some of the coolest ones I’ve taken so far.

One of the women in the Women’s Empowerment Program came to give Sr. Tsige an intro to beadwork.  During the lesson I learned that the beadwork is more than a pretty pastime. . . it actually pays for her children’s schooling and then some. 


Giant Mango Tree:  During a visit to homes in the village, Sr. Celestina and Sampson the Arabic teacher chat in the shade of this incredible tree, which would only have been more incredible if it were still full of mangoes.



On end-of-term field day, Sr. Betty’s sister-appropriate athletic apparel and commanding demeanor made her look a bit like a militant rebel leader. 



The school bell.  It may seem crude but is very, very effective, so loud when struck that it hurts my ears.  


Sunset over JubaTown


No comments: