Which continent, exactly?

This blog's title isn't in reference to actual continents (I've now been to four), but is rather drawn from "The Third and Final Continent," a stunning short story by Jhumpa Lahiri, from her collection, The Interpreter of Maladies. In particular, I'm inspired by the following quote that summarizes the attitude I try to carry with me through life and on my travels

I am not the only person to seek his fortune far from home, and certainly I am not the first. Still there are times I am bewildered by each mile I have traveled, each meal I have eaten, each person I have known, each room in which I have slept. As ordinary as it all appears, there are times when it is beyond my imagination.

I love this. It calls on us to consider the tiny details of our experiences, both one-by-one, and in the aggregate, and to maintain a sense of wonder even about the seemingly mundane things that are the building blocks of our lives, and often, the glue that binds us to our traveling companions.

This blog began as a chronicle of my study abroad experience in Cairo in Spring 2008, and continued last year while volunteering in Geneva, and South Sudan with a wonderful organization, VIDES.

Now in graduate school, I'm returning to the Continent this summer while interning in New Delhi, India.

Please enjoy, inquire, and learn.

Sunday, June 9, 2013

Methods used to carry out my just war against South Sudan's mosquitoes

One of the sisters accused me of carrying out genocide against the mosquitoes.  Being a good Peace Studies Major, I began to list the ways in which my actions were actually a just war and NOT genocide. I feel the need to clarify for all interested parties.
  • I am killing those that have intruded on my territory, in my room or in the common spaces of the house.
  • By nature of having entered my home, I can be reasonably sure that they are female mosquitoes who have come to eat me. I am not harming infant mosquitoes or noncombatant adults (males)
  • My methods are primarily defensive, not offensive in nature. . . I use mosquito netting, screens on the windows, close the door and block the crack underneath.   Only when absolutely necessary do I target the interlopers on my territory  with my wrath
  • They pose a clear and present danger to my health and my community by spreading malaria.  I am doing a little bit of good every day, for by killing the evil pests I am protecting the health, lives and livelihoods of those unable to afford treatment.  And let’s face it, mosquito bites are itchy, uncomfortable, distracting, and a health risk.

So until mosquitoes stop feeding on humans or Bill Gates actually cures malaria, I will continue to carry out my just war by some of the following means.
1) By hand.  Can be accomplished with one hand, against a hard surface, or, if particularly lucky, two hands with a series of loud awkward claps

2) Not killing spiders.  One of my favorites, as it involves almost no work on my part. I leave the spiderwebs in my room, and have gotten weirdly attached to those occupying the corners, seeing them as my partners in crime, and kind-of-pets. Weird, I know

3) The morning reaping (yes, so maybe I just reread the Hunger Games): in the morning I usually find several buzzing around one of my windows.  Usually I close the window, get dressed for the day, open one side at a time and take care of the lot at once

4) THIS tennis-racket like
contraption, affectionately known as “the power”, that kills the them instantly with an electric charge  Typical conversation while watching a movie: [dsc4913]

Prelude: Where is the power?  In the chapel.  Can you go get the power?   Sure.

Chorus:  Do you have the power?  Can I have the power?   Yes you can have the power. Crack, crack, crack.  Oh, Mabrook! (congratulations). (Repeat several times)

No comments: